We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
M9 3in Gun Motor Carriage
The M9 3in Gun Motor Carriage was a fully armoured tank destroyer that was based on the M3 medium tank chassis, but that was cancelled soon after being ordered into production.
The first attempt to produce a fully armoured tank destroyer was the T24. This carried an M3 3in anti-aircraft gun on a modified M3 medium tank chassis. The turret was removed, as was the main gun in the hull. A new superstructure was developed, with a sloped front plate. The 3in gun was carried in an open topped fighting compartment, with the gun almost entirely above the superstructure. The T24 was abandoned in March 1942 as the mount was felt to be too high.
Work then moved onto the T40. This used the M1918 3in anti-aircraft gun, again on the M3 chassis and with a similar superstructure to the T24. This time the gun was mounted lower down in the superstructure, with the barrel moving in a slot in the front plate. In December 1941 a proposal was made to build fifty T40s to use up a stock of fifty M1918 guns.
In April 1942 the order was confirmed and the T40 was standardised as the M9 3in Gun Motor Carriage. Fifty vehicles were to be built as the 'limited standard' M9 3in Gun Motor Carriage. This soon ran into problems. First the Tank Destroyer Board objected to the M9 on the grounds that it lacked mobility and speed. It was then discovered that there were only twenty eight guns available. Work on the M10 3in Gun Motor Carriage was already well advanced, and so in August 1942, before production had begun, the M9 was cancelled.
76mm Gun Motor Carriage T86, T86E1, and T87 (Amphibious)
Combat experience in the Pacific led to several experiments and projects to give amphibious capability to US AFVs.
As a result of meetings held on the Ritchie Project in December 1943 and January 1944, the National Defense Research Council undertook to develop an amphibious gun motor carriage created from the M18. This involved removal of the M18 hull plate down to the sponson line and substituting a larger amphibious hull of lighter construction. The reduction gear final drive gear ratio was lowered and suspension changes were made to accommodate an M24 Light Tank type 21 inch track This vehicle was called the T86 Amphibious Gun Motor Carriage
The original T86 continued the 14-inch track of the M18 because the new tracks were not ready in time Marmon-Herrington was given the contract in January 1944 to build three pilots. The T86 was track propelled the T86E1 had twin 26-inch screws driven from a rear transfer case. The screws were in tunnels with twin cable-controlled rudders behind them. The best of these two propulsion methods was to be used in the T87. This proved to be the track type, and an improved track was incorporated in the T87 along with detail changes to the hull.
The T86 (sometimes called the Esch Device) was designed to provide a vehicle with high firepower and good performance on both land and water. Land performance turned out to be practically the same as that of the M18. It floated with about 15 inches freeboard and it had a speed of 4-6 m.ph in water using the standard M18 track. The vehicle later was modified to add a third steering position just forward of the turret and cutting off the forward corners of the deck, adding vision blocks in both corners and additional periscopes for the driver. The T86E1 began undergoing tests late in April 1944 It weighed 23 tons and developed a speed in water of 6.2 m.p.h. with no appreciable reduction in land speed The T86E1 later was modified by removing one screw.
The third pilot was to incorporate the best features of both but the armament was to be a 105-mm howitzer.
The T87 with the 105-mm. howitzer weighed 1,000 pounds less than the T86E1 and was 2ft 3in shorter.
The T87 appeared in December 1944 and was still undergoing trials at the cessation of hostilities, after which it was cancelled. The T87 had the same 105mm howitzer as the T88 while the T86/T86E1 had the 76mm gun of the M18. The T87 had a slightly shorter hull. All these prototypes proved satisfactory on test with a good performance in surf. However, forward vision was generally poor due to the hull shape. In addition it was found necessary to add cable-controlled rudders at the hull rear to assist steering.
It was track propelled Marmon-Herrington also modified for the Navy Bureau of Ships an M18 into what was called the LVT 76-mm Amphibious Gun Carrier. Curiously, electrolytic action between dissimilar metals caused a fabrication problem so this vehicle was only some 30 per cent completed. It was to have had a Ford 500 h. p. V-8 engine and a Jered No 900 transmission, but these were never installed.
Variation/prototype on T87 with wadding trunk and detachable pontoon. One of the attempts to adapt the M18 for amphibious operations was the development of the Ritchie T7 swimming device, a set of pontoons and associated trunks. This shows the cumbersome affair attached to one of the T88 pilots. A total of 250 sets of this kit were manufactured, but they were never used in combat.
Variation/prototype on T86 with overhead turret protection.
M9 3in Gun Motor Carriage - History
Les Américains avaient un urgent besoin de chasseurs de char spécifiques disposant de la mobilité et de la protection d' un blindé entièrement chenillé. Jusqu' ici le rôle de chasseur de char étaient joué par des véhicules sur roues ou semi-chenillés qui ne disposaient pas de la mobilité et de la protection nécessaire voire d' une puissance de feu satisfaisante. Le premier véritable essai de fournir un véritable tank destroyer à l' US Army fut tenté fin 1941, lorsqu' on pensa monter le canon antiaérien de 76 mm sur le châssis du Medium Tank M3. Ce modèle qui fut baptisé T24 ne donna pas satisfaction en raison de sa haute silhouette et d' un portée insuffisante du canon. Une version amélioré de ce prototype fut ensuite mise au point sous le nom de T40. Bien qu' il fut un moment prévu après les essais de produire ce dernier modèle sous la désignation de M9, le projet fut finalement abandonné par le Tank Destroyer Board à la fin de l' été 1942, en raison d' une mobilité et d' une vitesse insuffisantes.
The Americans had an urgent need for specific tank destroyers having the mobility and the protection of an entirely tracked armoured tank. Up to now the role of tank destroyer were played by wheeled or half-tracked vehicles which did not have of the mobility and the protection necessary even of a satisfactory fire power. The first true test to provide a genuine tank destroyer to US Army was tried at the end of 1941, when one thought to mount the anti-aircraft gun of 76 mm on the chassis of Medium Tank M3. This model which was baptized T24 did not give satisfaction because of its high silhouette and an insufficient range of the gun. A version improved of this prototype was then developed under the name of T40. Although it was one moment envisaged after the tests to produce this last model under the designation of M9, the project was finally abandonned by the Tank Destroyer Board at the end of the summer 1942, because of insufficient mobility and speed.
|src: US Tank Destroyer in Action (Armor Number 36), Squadron/Signal publications|
L' utilisation de châssis de char moyens n' en était pas moins une idée intéressante. En novembre 1941, on pensa de fait transformer en tank destroyer le char moyen M4A1 doté d' un moteur essence. Mais en définitive ce fut le châssis du M4A2 doté d' un moteur diesel qui fut choisi et une maquette en bois du nouveau tank destroyer fut réalisée en janvier 1942. Le design de ce nouveau modèle était identique à celui du M4A2 mais avec un blindage latérale de 25 mm seulement et un nouvelle tourelle ouverte (au dessus et à l' arrière) accueillant un canon antichar de 76 mm. Ce modèle fut baptisé T35. Pendant ce temps des rapports de combat provenant des Philippines mentionnaient tous les avantages d' un blindage incliné par rapport à la seule épaisseur. Le Tank Destroyer Board exigea donc un nouveau design doté d' une superstructure dont les parois inclinées moins épaisses (et donc plus légères) offraient tout de même une excellente protection. Sur trois propositions, une seule fut retenue sous la désignation de T35E1. Le T35E1 gardait la même tourelle que le T35.
The use of chassis of medium tank was not less one interesting idea. In November 1941, one thought to transform into tank destroyer, the medium tank M4A1 equipped with a gasoline engine. But ultimately it was the chassis of the M4A2 equipped with a diesel engine which was selected and a model out of wooden of the new tank destroyer was produced in January 1942. The design of this new model was identical to that of the M4A2 but with a shielding side of 25 mm only and one new open turret (on the top and the back) accomodating an anti-tank gun of 76 mm. This model was baptized T35. During this time, reports of combat coming from the Philippines, mentioned all the advantages of n inclined shielding compared to the only thickness. The Tank Destroyer Board thus required a new design equipped with a superstructure whose less thick inclined walls (and thus lighter) offered an excellent protection all the same. On three proposals, only one was retained under the designation of T35E1. The T35E1 kept the same turret as T35.
La compagnie Fisher Tank Arsenal (Chrysler) travailla sur les deux prototypes en janvier 1942. Les essais démontrèrent que le blindage incliné du T35E1 était supérieur à celui du T35. Pour la tourelle, il fut décidé d' utiliser un modèle aux parois soudées à la place d' une tourelle moulée offrant moins de protection balistique. Les modèles de production utiliseront donc une nouvelle tourelle soudée. Au mois de mai, le T35E1 fut en définitive choisi pour la production en série avec quelques modifications. En juin 1942, les modifications avaient été faites et le nouveau véhicule baptisé 76 mm Gun Motor Carriage M10 était prêt pour la production. La nouvelle tourelle était de forme pentagonale (5 côtés) bien qu' à l' origine une tourelle hexagonal (6 côtés) avait été prévue.
The Fisher Tank Arsenal (Chrysler) company worked on the two prototypes in January 1942. The tests showed that the tilted shielding of the T35E1 was higher than that of T35. For the turret, it was determined to use a model with the walls welded in the place of a moulded turret, offering less ballistic protection. The models of production will thus use a new welded turret. In May, the T35E1 was ultimately selected for the mass production with some modifications. In June 1942, the modifications had been made and the new vehicle baptized 76 mm Gun Motor Carriage M10 was ready for the production. The new turret was of pentagonal form (5 sides) although in the beginning a turret hexagonal (6 sides) had been envisaged.
Le Tank Destroyer fit son apparition sur les chaînes de montage en septembre 1942 et les quittera en décembre 1943 avec un total de 4993 exemplaires produits. La Fisher Tank Division de Chrysler fut la seule firme à produire le M10. Le M10A1 fut produit sur les mêmes chaînes de montage de septembre 1942, jusqu' en novembre 1943 avec un total de 675 exemplaires. Le M10A1 fut également produit à 1038 exemplaires par la firme Ford d' octobre 1942 à septembre 1943, soit un total de 1713 exemplaires dont 300 furent assemblés sans tourelles (Full Track Prime Mover M35).
The Tank Destroyer made its appearance on the assembly lines in September 1942 and will leave them in December 1943 with a total of 4993 produced specimens. Fisher Tank Division of Chrysler was the only firm to produce M10. The M10A1 was produced on the same assembly lines from September 1942 until November 1943, with one total of 675 specimens. The M10A1 was also produced with 1038 specimens by the Ford firm from October 1942 to September 1943, with a total of 1713 specimens of which 300 were assembled without turrets (Full Track Prime Mover M35).
Le M10 et le M10A1 servirent dans l' US Army au sein des Tank Destroyer Battailons mais également dans les armées alliées des États-Unis comme la Grande-Bretagne, l' Union soviétique et la France.
M10 and the M10A1 were used by US Army within the Tank Battailons Destroyer but also in the allied armies of the United States like Great Britain, the Soviet Union and France.
M5 3-inch AT
Authored By: Staff Writer | Last Edited: 05/02/2017 | Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com | The following text is exclusive to this site.
Since British and French tanks made their presence along the West Front during World War 1 (1914-1918), it fell to the Germans on the other side of the battlefield to develop counters which ultimately evolved along several avenues - a tank of their own in the forgettable A7V and the Mauser 1918 T-Gewehr anti-tank rifle being two notable developments. Chiefly, it was artillery that remained a tank's worst enemy in the war accounting for more of their destruction than any other weapon (although general mechanical breakdowns also proved an early tank's undoing).
During the interwar years following, engineers set about on utilizing the basic concept of the field gun as a towed anti-tank weapon. These evolved into 37mm and 50mm caliber forms until tank development progressed beyond the effectiveness of these weapon systems. By the time of World War 2, the 37mm type was becoming limited and the 50mm type was soon to reach its battlefield usefulness. This pushed development of larger-caliber anti-tank guns which came in the 76mm caliber range.
The United States Army had begun development of such a weapon as early as 1940 and took the gun component of the T9 anti-aircraft system and mated it to the carriage of the M2 field howitzer. The weapon included the breech and recoil mechanism of the howitzer design for expediency. In September of 1941, the weapon emerged as the prototype "3-inch Gun T10" and it entered the requisite testing phase which proved the overall arrangement sound. This then led to the gun's adoption as the "3-inch Gun M5" in U.S. Army service. Production was quickly enacted in 1942 to which field units - the American Army already committed to World War 2 by now - reached frontlines in 1943. Production the first year totaled 250 units followed by 1,250 units in 1943. 1944 saw 1,000 additional guns added and total manufacture reached approximately 2,500 weapons by the end of the war in September of 1945 (production had ended back in 1944).
As completed, the M5 utilized a conventional artillery piece arrangement. There were two, rubber-tired road wheels with metal rims and a split trail carriage system for towing the system. The gun component included the over-under recoil mechanism (hydropneumatic) and reloading was through the breech end of the system, the breech being a horizontal block type arrangement. The barrel lacked any sort of muzzle brake and projectiles were of 76.2x585mmR caliber. The carriage system included a flat gun shield with early production models until a November 1943 shift saw a sloped shield added, producing the M6 carriage standard. All previous guns were then standardized to the M6 carriage in a January 1944 initiative. The gun mounting hardware allowed for an inherent elevation span of -5 to +30 degrees and traverse was possible up to 45-degrees to either side. The complete system's combat weight was 4,875lbs.
A well-trained and reasonably seasoned gunnery crew could unleash twelve rounds per minute. Muzzle velocity was rated at 2,600 feet per second for each outgoing shell. Maximum range reached over 10,000 yards though actual engagement ranges were much more constrained for increased accuracy. As the weapon was a gun and not a howitzer, it required line-of-sight on the target (i.e. no plunging fire). Additionally, its carriage design required a mover vehicle to tow it into action - typically an M3 Half-Track mover - the gunnery crew could then make finer adjustments once the weapon was dropped off.
In practice, U.S. Army forces were not fond of their new weapon for it proved too heavy to be of real tactical use along the mobile fronts of World War 2. The Tank Destroyer Center was forced to adopt the series and replace a portion of their self-propelled tank destroyer units with the towed gun. First combat use was during the Italian Campaign with forces of the 805th TD group and, from then on, the weapon did prove its worth as a tank-killing system though there arose problems with the ammunition type in play (APHE, based on the 3" naval shell), particularly in the fuses being used - detonating on impact and not delayed. Additionally, commanders favored the protection and mobility found in self-propelled tank destroyer types and the true value of the M5 series was never wholly realized. Those M5 guns present at the famous Battle of the Bulge fared poorly when compared to self-propelled versions which further damaged the case for the gun's long-term existence.
To that end, the M5 began to see a more reduced role towards the close of fighting in Europe and, ultimately, the end of the whole war in September of 1945. The weapon, therefore, went on to lead a rather short service life. Some units managed a post-war existence in ceremonial service and continue to this day through the Presidential Salute Guns Platoon from Fort Myer.
Cook Brothers had developed an unusual vehicle for desert conditions. This had two four-wheel-drive bogies each with its own engine. Steering was by pivoting the front bogie. They then developed their design into a tank destroyer with two engines at the rear. There was sufficient interest from the Army for a contract for development as the T55. Testing led to modifications to the pilot as the T55E1. Further testing confirmed that it was not suitable and the T55EI was cancelled.
Power was from two Cadillac eight-cylinder water-cooled engines. Production began in 1943, however by this time preference had shifted to anti-tank vehicles, and the T55E1 was cancelled.
M12 Gun Motor Carriage
The 155 mm Gun Motor Carriage M12 was a U.S. self-propelled gun developed during the Second World War. Only 100 were built 60 in 1942 and a further 40 in 1943. It mounted a 155 mm gun M1917, M1917A1 or M1918 M1, depending upon availability, a weapon derived from the nearly identical French 155 mm GPF gun of World War I vintage. The M12 was built on the chassis of the M3 Lee tank (some sources claim that later M12 used the M4 Sherman chassis but this might be a confusion with the M12's use of "Sherman-style" bogie trucks with trailing idlers). It had an armored driver's compartment, but the gun crew were located in an open topped area at the back of the vehicle. An earth spade (similar to a bulldozer blade) at the rear was employed to absorb recoil. This layout—large gun mounted in an open mount at the rear, with a spade—was the pattern adopted for many years by other heavy self-propelled artillery.
During 1943 the vehicles were used for training or put into storage. Before the invasion of France, 74 M12s were upgraded in preparation for combat operations. They were employed successfully throughout the campaign in NW-Europe. Although designed primarily for indirect fire, during assaults on heavy fortifications the M12s were sometimes employed in a direct-fire role.
Limited storage space meant that only 10 projectiles and propellant charges could be carried on the vehicle. Given this, a similar vehicle, but without the gun, was produced as the Cargo Carrier M30. This was designed to transport the gun crew and additional ammunition. In operational conditions the M12 and M30 would serve in pairs. The M30 was armed with a .50-caliber Browning M2 machine gun. It could carry 40 rounds of 155 mm ammunition.
Pros and Cons
- Very wide gun arc, and relatively short height
- The gun is mounted at the very top of the hull, allowing you to hull down effectively
- Effective when on the defence, good at sniping
- Able to mount both the Tier 6 76mm M1A1 and the 105mm M3 howitzer guns, both of which are very good
- Easy grind to top guns
- Mediocre top speed and maneuverability
- Large silhouette, plus open top body which makes it prone to crew and module damage from artillery shells
- Frontal armour is not thick enough to protect from most AP shells
- 105 mm Howitzer has poor splash radius (hits on an enemy gun or gun mantle often fail to do any damage other than to the gun)
- Extremely poor gun depression (from -1 to -3.5 degrees) on all guns except 76mm M1A1
The T40's role on the battlefield is mostly determined by the guns you use. With the 105 mm AT Howitzer M3 it acts as a short range ambusher that can one shot most opponents in tier 4 matches. Though, you should take a more supporting approach in higher tier matches, as the HE damage greatly diminishes against better armoured tanks. With the 57 mm Gun M1 L/50 cannon it can be used as a sniping anti-tank machine gun over medium to long ranges. The 76 mm AT Gun M1A1 gun is widely considered as the best gun for this tank. It combines high penetration and a short aim time with a decent rate of fire and alpha strike damage. Its only drawback is the mediocre accuracy which diminishes its long range performance considerably. But feel free to spam even at those long ranges if you're in a good position, as your shells are cheap and plenty.
The key to play this tank effectively is to hide your rather large body from incoming shells. The T40 excels at hiding behind wrecks and shooting over hilltops.
In addition, this tank can become a proper killing machine if played in a defensive like manner correctly, keeping hostile players at bay as team mates push forward on other fronts or are rushing to assist. Use good cover and duck behind it often while reloading or are expecting enemy fire.
- The 57mm Gun M1 carries over from the T56 GMC.
- If you played the M3 Lee previously, the Chrysler A57 engine and SCR 506 radio will also be available immediately.
- All modules are mountable without upgrading the suspension, so most players go straight for the 76 mm AT Gun M1A1.
- Go from there.
The U.S. Army expressed a need for a vehicle capable of stopping and destroying enemy tanks. The new vehicle, dubbed the "Tank Destroyer", would have the same armor protection and general mobility of a standard tank, but would be heavily armed with enough punch to decimate enemy armored formations. Up until 1941, the only vehicles available were modified trucks and half-tracks, which lacked greatly in the mobility, firepower and armor departments.
During the summer of 1941, Baldwin Locomotive Works began development of a vehicle to fill the need for a true tank destroyer. They began with the chassis of an M3 Lee medium tank, added a modified superstructure with an open, hexagonally-shaped top, and armed the vehicle with the M1918 3-inch gun. The Ordnance Department accepted the vehicle for testing at Aberdeen at the end of the summer, designating it the T24 gun motor carriage. However, the extremely high silhouette of the vehicle was thought to detract from its ability to stalk its prey, and gun was found to be lacking in range and accuracy. The T24 was returned to Baldwin for adjustments.
T40/M9 America's First Tank Destroyer
What Baldwin later returned to the Army was basically a somewhat improved T24. Indeed, it was the T24 pilot vehicle, simply modified with a slightly lower superstructure and some minor improvements to the weapon and related systems. The vehicle was accepted for testing at Aberdeen once more, this time under the designation of T40. The Ordnance Department was still far from impressed, but a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese, and the subsequent entry of the United States into the war prompted the vehicle's adoption as the Army's first standardized full-track tank destroyer. It was christened the 3-inch Gun Motor Carriage, M9, and a production contract was awarded for 1,000 examples.
However, as the vehicle was not truly up the Army's standards, the contract was cancelled only four months later, in April 1942. The M9 had simply proven too slow, and furthermore, its 3-inch main armament was not available in sufficient quantity. As the vehicle had a basis on the M3 Lee medium tank, the silhouette was also above the minimum for a vehicle intended as an ambush predator. The Tank Destroyer Board finally abandoned the project at the end of the summer of 1942, officially due to the insufficient mobility and speed of the vehicle.
Half-Track Personnel Carrier M3
Authored By: Staff Writer | Last Edited: 10/17/2018 | Content ©www.MilitaryFactory.com | The following text is exclusive to this site.
No image of the American military effort in World War 2 is complete without the appearance of the M3 Half-Track vehicle. The M3 appeared in large production numbers and was the Allied counter to the German SdKfz 251 series half-track of similar scope and function. The M3 served primarily a personnel carrier, shuttling infantry to and from the front, but could easily double in other battlefield required roles such as MEDical EVACuation (MEDEVAC), equipment carrier, weapons platform and general light reconnaissance. The M3 became the definite Allied half-track of note and was used throughout the war where its hybrid truck-tank design could traverse the most unforgiving of terrains. Its forward axle was of a twin wheeled design with its aft section supported through a track-and-wheel assembly. This particular half-track series was used by all major Allied forces (including the Soviet Union via Lend-Lease) and saw continued use in the post-war years with the growing nation of Israel and a rebuilding France.
The basic half-track concept was originally showcased by the British in World War 1. By then, however, the combination of tracks an automobile-style wheels seemed impractical when fully-tracked or six-wheeled vehicles with four-wheel drive was favored. The half-track saw a comeback of sorts in the interwar years, primarily during the 1930's, where development peaked on both sides of the ocean. The German Army made extensive use of such vehicles in their route of enemy forces via the "Blitzkrieg" and the Americans took particular note of a French-made design known as the Citroen Kegresse P17. Such was the American interest in the French system that several of the French forms were purchased for additional hands-on testing and evaluation.
The P17 was soon spawned into the "T14" army half-track prototype of 1931. The T14 - produced primarily by the Army Ordnance Depot among others - was nothing more than a White Scout Car M2 series chassis melded to the Kegresse half-track suspension system. The resulting design proved adequate enough to become the newly-minted "Half-Track Car M2". Production of the Half-Track Car M2 was already underway by 1941 with Europe already embroiled in what would become known as "World War 2" since September of 1939.
The Half-Track M3 soon appeared in 1941 and began to supplement the M2 types in frontline service. The M3 differed somewhat from the preceding design in that it showcased a lengthened hull. Original forms featured a pedestal-mounted 0.50 caliber machine gun at center for self-defense but this was later replaced by a more traditional "pulpit" style assembly on future production models. Beyond the M3 came the "M5" which differed little more than in the manufacturing process used. The "M9" was a related half-track armored car design.
The M3 was then spawned into a myriad of roles from the base personnel carrier. One of the most fearsome was the "Quad-50" anti-aircraft platform which saw a battery of 4 x 0.50 (12.7mm) caliber Browning heavy machine guns mounted atop a turning pedestal. This formidable array proved exceptional in the low-level air defense role and could be turned on unfortunate enemy infantry in a pinch as well. Other variants of the M3 series became specialized gun carriers mounting weaponry from 57mm to 105mm self-propelled guns. Mortar carriers, armored ambulances and engineering vehicles were also produced.
The M3 series was far from a perfect machine. Though robust, it was never deemed as highly reliable as other wheeled systems then available. The thin floor armor made the occupants extremely susceptible to land mines and the fabric covering overhead did little to protect from the elements, artillery spray or air attack. Despite these limitations, the M3 operated without much complaint, being exposed to the harshest of wartime elements and conditions to the point that the system would achieve legendary status by war's end. The American half-track was produced to the tune of some 41,000 examples by 1944 and saw continued use in the years following. The M3 also saw combat service with the burgeoning Israeli Army and, in some forms, still continues along supplementary roles around the world today (2013) - though to a lesser extent than in the decades previous.
The American involvement in the Korean War (1950-1953) following World War 2 ensured that M3 vehicles and all her kind would be called to action once more. After the conflict, however, doctrine involving use of half-track vehicles was given up worldwide as Armored Personnel Carriers (APCs) and Infantry Fighting Vehicles (IFVs) - both wheeled and tracked - began to take center stage.
Il possède une silhouette assez ramassée en raison de sa hauteur modeste et ses flancs inclinés. Sa masse en ordre de marche est de 86 tonnes [ 2 ] . Il dispose de 4 chenilles , 2 en parallèle de chaque côté. Il doit être transporté par chemin de fer vu son poids, sa faible autonomie et sa vitesse de seulement 13 km/h sur route. La paire de chenilles extérieure pouvait être démontée du véhicule pour réduire sa largeur en vue de son transport [ 1 ] .
Il est lourdement blindé avec un blindage frontal de 305 mm pour la superstructure, de 133 mm pour le bas de caisse et de 63 mm pour les autres parties. Pour voir à l'extérieur, les 4 hommes d'équipage disposaient de deux périscopes M6 et d'un périscope M10E3. Ce projet s’arrêta avec la fin de la guerre et seuls quelques essais ont été effectués en 1947, où l'un des engins a été endommagé.